Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant recipe
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. peanut or other vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups tomato juice + 1 cup apple juice -OR-
- 15 oz. can plain tomato sauce + 1/2 cup applesauce + vegetable stock to make 1 quart
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-2 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 chopped tomatoes (or one 15 oz. can)
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 bunch lacinto kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
Sauté onion in oil for 8-10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cayenne and sauté a couple more minutes. Add sweet potatoes, cover and cook for a few minutes. Mix in juices, salt, ginger, cilantro and tomatoes.
Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender. Add greens and simmer 5 minutes more.
Stir in peanut butter and heat through. May be kept warm over diffuse heat until ready to serve.
Serve with couscous. 6 servings.